Discover some of the great contributions that the Jewish Community has made to the Waverley area. Althought it has not been possible to capture all the wonderful events, we are giving you a taste of some of these achievements.
Enjoy the journey down memory lane!
Milestone events in the local area
Eat, Pray, Naches is awarded the NSW Public Libraries Association’s Multicultural Excellence Award
Eat, Pray, Naches (Waverley Council)
Waverley Council celebrates its Jewish community with the launch of the Eat, Pray, Naches project, a pilot project for future community groups. Eat, Pray, Naches is a project that celebrates Waverley’s local Jewish community by documenting, sharing and preserving the stories of its post-war immigrants and their families. Waves of Jewish migrants from various parts of the world have contributed to and shaped the dynamic Jewish community in the Eastern Suburbs. Eat, Pray, Naches is an opportunity to showcase the stories of Waverley’s post-war Jewish migrants, and celebrate the contributions of these individuals and their families to our local government area.
Babi Yar Memorial
Memorial in Waverley Park to remember thousands of Jewish victims killed as part of the Holocaust in Babi Yar, Ukraine. It marks 73 years since the most notorious massacre at Babi Yar began, in which over 33,000 Jews were killed. The memorial was unveiled by Waverley Mayor Sally Betts and Member for Wentworth, the Hon Malcolm Turnbull. Local Councillors in attendance, included Deputy Mayor Tony Kay (from left), Mayor Sally Betts, Councillors Miriam Guttman-Jones, Joy Clayton, Bill Mouroukas, Leon Goltsman, pictured above with Alex Ryvchin from the Executive Council of Australian Jewry and the new memorial plaque.
Pro-Israel Rally at Dudley Page Reserve
On 3 August 2014 approximately 10,000 pro-Israel supporters gathered at Dudley Page Reserve in Waverley’s local government area to show support for a Jewish spiritual homeland. The recent bloody invasion of Gaza had sparked the rally as the community gathered to support Israel and its right to defend itself and protect its citizens from attacks by Hamas.
Councillor 2012 to 2015
Shir Madness at Bondi
Beginning in 2011 the Jewish Music Festival put on Shir Madness at Bondi, a one day music festival showcasing and celebrating the very best of Jewish music and Jewish performers from Sydney and overseas.
Public Menorah in Bondi Junction (Waverley Council)
Waverley Council launches the “Festive Fun” campaign with a Christmas tree and a Chanukah menorah (nine branched candlestick) in Oxford Street Mall. Waverley Council was the first council in Australia to pay for and erect a public menorah in 2011. Chanukah, the festival of lights, is celebrated over an eight day period with activities for the community providing an opportunity for everyone to come together.
Waverley Council Cultural Diversity Policy (Waverley Council)
Council creates a Cultural Diversity Policy to provide a framework for Council to shape its support of the multicultural community in a changing environment.
Living Library Event at Waverley Library (Waverley Council)
Waverly Council holds a Living Library event at Waverley Library. Students at the Library “borrow” a human book who will give them a personal account of their life: they are a living book. The living books included: a Council lifeguard, a rabbi, World War II serviceman and a local indigenous resident.
Hakoah Club closes
Hakoah Social Club closes its Bondi Beach premises. The club was founded in 1939 by Jewish migrants.
Yeshiva College Bondi
Yeshiva College Bondi is a Jewish day school which follows a Jewish Chassidic Orthodox tradition, ethos and practice. In 2009, Yeshiva was voted one of the top three Jewish Day schools in all of New South Wales. Yeshiva is based on a Torah-centred curriculum which integrates Jewish studies with key learning areas from the NSW Board of Studies. Therefore, Yeshiva amounts to a high standard of Jewish studies without neglecting secular studies. This day school focuses on the separation of boys and girls to achieve high levels of learning.
Glick’s Cakes & Bagels
Glick’s Cakes and Bagels is an iconic bakery to those who are both Jewish and non-Jewish. Best known for its fresh bagels, Glick’s Cakes and Bagels also produces a wide range of breads, biscuits, cakes and pastries. This bakery is known for having a high standard and is becoming very busy. They encourage placing orders, especially for events over the weekend as they are closed during Saturday.
Sam Fiszman Park (Waverley Council)
Sam Fiszman Park is created out of the former car park at Ben Buckler Point. This is the first major public park created in Waverley in over a decade. It has won a number of landscape and architecture awards. The park was named for Sam Fiszman, a Polish immigrant and Holocaust survivor, who later had a successful career in Australia which included being the head of NSW Tourism. He was a long-time Waverley resident who died in 2002.
Councillor 2007 to 2010; 2012 to 2015; Deputy Mayor 2010 to 2012
Hatzolah, a network of Jewish volunteers which takes its name from the Hebrew word for “to save”, has trained volunteers ready to respond to any medical emergency in the Eastern Suburbs. Hatzolah was established in the US during the 1960s to assist the Yiddish-speaking Hasidic populations and has spread to cities around the world.
Our Big Kitchen
Our Big Kitchen is a community kitchen designed to help those in need. It was founded by Rabbi Dovid Slavin and Laya Slavin in February 2005. Rabbi Slavin had a vision – to transform the basement of the Yeshiva Centre in Bondi into a large-scale industrial kitchen that would be used to benefit anyone in the community. He shared his passion with others and brought together a team of businesses, tradesmen and volunteers to make it happen.
Traffic Signals accommodate Shabbat (Waverley Council)
Waverley and Woollahra Councils reprogram traffic signals to accommodate the Jewish Sabbath. The two intersections are affected are in Old South Head Road. Council installed the devices at the two intersections after a request for them was rejected by the Roads and Traffic Authority. The signals will work by detection sensors. They are referred to as “kosher crossings” and are Australia’s first.
Kesser Torah College
Kesser Torah College is an Orthodox Jewish Learning facility on Blake and Napier St, Dover Heights. With over 480 students, Kesser Torah focuses on integrating the values of Jewish spirituality with that of secular learning. This school is for children aged 2-18, and includes the Carl Rose Early Learning School, the Education and Care Centre, Kesser Torah primary school and Kesser Torah high school. Year 1 is taught in a co-educational manner, whereas 2-6 in both primary and high school teaches boys and girls separately. Under Chabad ethos, the 90 professionals at Kesser Toarah seek to teach children the educational philosophy of Lubavitcher Rebbe OBM, as well as a general studies.
Jewish Learning Centre
The Jewish Learning Centre aims to increase Torah awareness and education for adults. JLC has a reputation for sustaining Jewish continuity through its teachings, outreach programs and congregational services. JLC inclusively offers educational lectures about Judaism, in addition to counselling services. It focuses highly on the welfare of the young community in hopes that it may develop into one that is strong and faithful.
After approval from Waverley Council, under the direction and halachic approval of Rabbi Shimon Eider the Sydney Eruv was constructed on 8 June 2002. It is a boundary line that outlines the locality which allows the Jewish community to engage in activities which are normally forbidden outside the home on the Sabbath (Shabbat). The Sydney Eruv helps make observing Shabbat for orthodox Jews more pleasant allowing people to push prams or use wheelchairs.
Councillor 2002 to 2012; Deputy Mayor 2012 to 2015
Woolworths Kosher Section opened
Malcolm Turnbull, Member for Wentworth, joined Rabbi Mendel Kastel, Waverley Mayor Sally Betts, Waverley Councillor Tony Kay and Woolworths representative Greg Forran in launching Woolworths’ kosher section just before Pesach.
Memorial Service at Waverley Park for September 11 Attacks in New York City
Following the terrorist attacks in New York City a memorial service is held in Waverley Park with several hundred participants hearing a cross-section of religious leaders speak about the incident.
Jewish New Year Road Closures (Waverley Council)
Bon Accord Avenue, Bondi Junction is closed for several hours during the Jewish New Year. For Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur the road is closed for two hours each day.
Councillor 2000 to 2001
Nefesh Synagogue–Machzika Ha Torah
Nefesh was established initially as part of the Binah Movement founded through Chabad. In 1999, the congregation moved to Roscoe Street sharing the Machzika HaTorah synagogue building. Nefesh Synagogue centralises its teachings around the presence of the soul. Nefesh Synagogue focuses highly on the soul being able to enliven the mind and body of Modern Orthodox Jews.
Jewish Welfare Grant
State Member for Coogee, Ernie Page, announces Jewish Welfare Grant. The State Government has approved a grant of $15,000 for Jewish Community Services under the 1998 Community Development Grants Program.
Central Synagogue –rebuilt
Central Synagogue is reopened following the dedicated efforts of Waverley’s Jewish community who rebuilt the shule after an electrical fire devastated the building in 1994.
Dover Heights shule- Beis Menachem Chabad
Dover Heights Shule is a Modern Orthodox Synagogue built on the former Yeshiva College campus, now the site of Kesser Torah College. This synagogue provides spiritual guidance and teachings for the local Jewish community. The Dover Heights Shule has regular services three times a day throughout the week, in addition to Shabbat, High Holydays and other festivals.
Academy BJE Jewish Education and Resource Centre
The Academy BJE Jewish Education and Resource Centre was built in 1997 under the council presidency of Jack Fisher. This educational centre was built to replace a Jewish pre-school that was once established in 1984. The Academy BJE Jewish Education and Resource centre is now a dynamic hub of activity which services the administrative, educational and communal needs of the Board of Jewish Education.
Christianity is the main religion in Waverley, with 48 per cent of the population Christian. The second largest group was those declaring ‘no religion’ (19 per cent) and Judaism is the third largest group at 17 per cent of residents. Beginning in 2009 Waverley Council holds a Chanukah celebration at Council Chambers each year.
Or Chadash is a Modern Orthodox synagogue which creates a lively environment for the community. The congregation was established in 1995 to meet the needs of young orthodox people in Sydney. After BJE opened its new premises in Roscoe Street in 1997 Or Chadash moved to that location. It appeals to the Jewish community by making people feel included, safe and respected. Or Chadash is a synagogue which focuses heavily on safety, encouraging a bullying and abuse free environment.
Councillor 1995 to 2001; Deputy Mayor 2002 to 2005; Mayor 2005 to 2007
Waverley Senior & Community Centre (Waverley Council)
A new Waverley Seniors and Community Centre in Spring Street brings together the former Clarrie Martin Seniors Centre and Bondi Beach Seniors Centre. Activities held in the Centre include: yoga, housie, indoor bowls, tai chi, gentle exercise, arts and crafts, discussion groups, and Community Visitors Scheme. The Centre has guest speakers and social groups for Russian, Italian, Spanish and Polish people.
The Hugo Lowy Synagogue Kehilat Moriah
The Hugo Lowy Synagogue was built as part of the new Queens Park-Moriah College Campus, with Frank Lowy donating the funds in memory of his father, Hugo, who was murdered in Czechoslovakia during the Holocaust. In 1944, Hugo Lowy was attacked under suspicion of carrying weaponry in a parcel, when in actuality; Lowy was carrying the tallit and tefillin he used to pray with every morning. This synagogue symbolises the hardship of the Jews throughout history, and the constant faith in Judaism despite all this.
Central Synagogue Fire
On 25 September 1994, the Central shule endured a devastating fire which destroyed irreplaceable memorabilia precious to the Jewish community. The Central Synagogue was later re-built in May 1998, and stands as a symbol of true Jewish spirit and determination.
Local Government Act (Waverley Council)
A new Local Government Act (1993) was passed and Waverley Council was involved in actively implementing the changes which include: introduction of an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) management plan, reflecting changes in Australian society. Council met the challenge and went beyond what was required under the Act adopting a policy granting unpaid leave to non-Christian and Aboriginal staff so that they could fulfil their religious and cultural obligations. Numerous ethnic community groups and human rights organisation praise Waverley Council.
Waverley’s Multicultural Population (Waverley Council)
More than 40 per cent of Waverley residents were born overseas, 25.2 per cent of people in Waverley were born in Non-English Speaking Background (NESB) countries. This makes Waverley the 13th most multicultural local government area in NSW, an increase of almost two per cent since the 1986 census.
Women’s Tefilah Group
The Women’s Tefilah Group gathers together in various synagogues or private homes in Bondi. The Women’s Tefilah Group focuses on increasing prayer and ritual amongst Orthodox Jewish women. This group holds regular prayer meetings including afternoon and morning services on specific days of the year, readings of the Purim story each year and celebrations for the festival of Simchat Torah.
Russian Jewish Ex-War Service Club
Russian Jewish immigrants set up their own ex-war service club in association with the NSW Association of Jewish Ex-servicemen and Women at Bondi.
Waverley Council Profiles Russian Population (Waverley Council)
Council published a profile of its largest ethnic group, the Russians, in order to address the specific needs of the community. The majority of Russians in Waverley are Jewish. The AJWS-Jewish Community Services congratulated Waverley Council on its initiative to understand and assist this group of Waverley residents.
Bet Yosef–Caro Synagogue
The Bet Yosef Synagogue celebrates the true nature of orthodox Sephardic heritage. Bet Yosef outlines the importance of Sephardic traditions, encouraging youth to engage in Jewish values. This synagogue provides an active role for both children and adults, allowing them to flourish spiritually in a multicultural environment. It shares the building with the Adass Yisroel Synangogue.
Local Ethnic Affairs Policy Statement (LEAPS) (Waverley Council)
Council adopts a Local Ethnic Affairs Policy Statement (LEAPS) to improve access to Council services for non-English speaking background (NESB) communities.
Jewish representation at Remembrance Day (Waverley Council)
For the first time a representative from the NSW Association of Jewish ex-Servicemen and Women attended Council’s Remembrance Day/ Armistice Day service.
Krinsky’s Kosher Supermarket
Krinksy’s Kosher Supermarket, in Bondi Road, is Sydney’s largest kosher supermarket and liquor store, servicing the community for over 25 years. Krinsky’s Kosher Supermarket offers a great range of kosher groceries, meat and poultry, paper goods and fresh baked goods. Krinsky’s Kosher Supermarket also offers a refrigerated delivery service and great savings on bulk orders.
Chabad-Lubavitch House (F.R.E.E)
Chabad Lubavitch House, often referred to as the “Russian Shule”, was established in 1986 to provide for the needs of Eastern European migrants in NSW. In a renovated building The Chabad Lubavitch House celebrates Jewish life and education by making the beauty of Jewish principles and heritage accessible to all people, currently serving more than 6000 local families. This synagogue promotes multiculturalism and aims to maintain cultural traditions, language and customs.
Yeshiva Gedola Rabbinical College
Yeshiva Gedola Rabbinical College of Sydney began operating in 1986. This college provides tertiary education for high school students and mature-aged students who wish to study traditional Judaism. With 600 students to-date, this college focuses on studies of the Bible, Mishna, Talmud, history, basic law, jurisprudence, and philosophy. Graduates are granted a full rabbinical ordination (smicha), which allows them to become communal leaders, educators, rabbis, and chazanim in synagogues, schools and Chabad houses. The Waverley Council supports the Yeshiva Gedola Rabbinical College of Sydney as its students promote local community service and a sense of pride and responsibility to the local area. Its Chabad student exchange program allows people from all around the world to participate in the growth and glorification of Judaism in the New South Wales Jewish community.
Kosher Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels in Bondi begins kosher delivery service.
Councillor 1984 to 1987; 1990 to 1997; 1999; Deputy Mayor 1988 to 1989
Alan Slade (Waverley Council)
Councillor from 1984-1985; Deputy Mayor 1986-1987
Local History section opens in Waverley Library (Waverley Council)
An area of Waverley Library is set aside for collecting and preserving memorabilia, photographs and books on the colourful history of Waverley. It is to be called the Local Studies section of the Library.
Grandma Moses Delicatessen & Bakery
Grandma Moses offers a range of kosher baked goods made with no animal fats. It is commonly known for its bagels, fresh bread and imported kosher delicacies. The bakery at Grandma Moses is under the supervision of the NSW Kashrut Authority. The deli section of the store in Rose Bay has an area specifically designated to kosher production of food.
Habonim Dror Sydney
Habonim started in Sydney in 1940. In 1969 Habonim relocated to its current location on St. Mary’s Avenue in Bondi Junction. The organisation merged with Dror in 1982. Habonim Dror Sydney is a Jewish Social-Zionist Youth Movement which aims to connect people to their rich Jewish heritage. Habonim Dror Sydney, empowers the youth to identify with a meaningful Jewish identity in an attempt to help them belong. This youth movement focuses heavily on the ideals of personal freedom, the importance of equality and basic human rights, the value of friendship, and involvement with culture and community. The group offers a range of weekly programs in their branches, frequent camps, and intense community involvement. Habonim Dror is a group which allows youths to find bonds and ties with people of the same culture.
Russian books at Waverley Library (Waverley Council)
On August 7 a collection of Russian books at the Branch Library is officially opened by Mr Jack Lasky (President, Russian Jews NSW) and Ald Ernie Page (Mayor).
Rabbi Lamm Visits Waverley Council (Waverley Council)
Alderman Ernie Page received Rabbi Maurice Lamm, in Council Chambers, and made an official presentation to him on behalf of the Municipality of Waverley. Rabbi Lamm was the Rabbi of the Beth Jacob Congregation in Bervely Hills, USA – the largest orthodox Jewish congregation in Western United States.
Makor Collection, Waverley Library (Waverley Council)
In the mid-1970s the Library was approached by a representative of Makor Publishing House – Jerusalem, who was aware of Jewish interests in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and Waverley Library’s concern to provide for all facets of human knowledge and endeavour. The collection was of quality and finely bound facsimile copies, in limited editions, of early Hebrew Biblical and rabbinic books and manuscripts. It was believed their acquisition would be justified in the interests of scholars and others concerned especially with Judaism.
Wellington Cake Shop
The Wellington Cake Shop opened in 1979. The location was purchased because at that stage there was a sizeable Hungarian community in the area. It was called the Wellington Cake Shop because of the intersection where it was located, on Bondi Road, opposite Wellington Street.
The shop was started by Leslie and Georgina, both migrants from Hungary. Leslie's father Bela trained as a pastry cook in Budapest, Hungary. Before the war Bela's family owned a bakery, making breads. Leslie worked in the family business from a young age, did his apprenticeship and became a master baker.
When the cake shop opened the range of products was limited to traditional Aussie baked goods such as finger buns, bread rolls, sausage rolls and pies.
Over time as the clientele developed, more Continental style cakes were introduced. Around 1983 the shop underwent its first major renovation. In 1992 ice cream was introduced, in 2004 new signage and equipment were added and in 2011 a complete renovation was made to the premisis.
Syd Einfeld Drive By-Pass Completed (Waverley Council)
Syd Einfeld Drive is completed and the project for an Oxford Street Mall goes ahead. The Eastern Suburbs Railway opens and a new train station at the end of this is called Bondi Junction. It becomes the public transport gateway to Bondi Beach.
Ray J. Collins
Councillor 1975 to 1983; 1986 to 1987; Deputy Mayor 1984; Mayor 1985
Hakoah Club new building
Gala Opening of the Hakoah Social Club building. The foundational stone of the club was laid by club patron Sydney D. Einfeld, president Frank Lowy, and director Louis Klein. The Hakoah Social Club would go on to become an iconic cultural institution in the Bondi area. The Hakoah Club continued to serve as a memorable community centre until 2009 when it finally closed.
Bondi Beach, Bondi Pavilion
A row of flag poles on the promenade in front of Bondi Pavilion display a series of flags of the world, sometimes described as “international flags”. Flags on display include the Israeli flag.
Former Soviet Union Jewry (Migration Wave)
Between 1971 and 1980 a wave of Soviet Jews migrated to Australia under the sponsorship of the Jewish community. The majority of these migrants had left the USSR after receiving an official invitation to be reunited with family in Israel. The Jews who applied to leave but were refused permission became known as “refuseniks”. Those who were eventually permitted to leave, after intense international pressure, were generally forced to relinquish their passports and stripped of their citizenship. They left permanently. However, once they arrived in Vienna, some decided to opt out of migration to Israel and were sent to Rome, where they applied for immigration to a Western country. This included some who were accepted to migrate to Australia under its humanitarian migration program. The migration of Soviet Jewry peaked in 1979 and continued, particularly in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with many migrants settling in Sydney, around the Bondi Beach area.
Hineni Sydney at Central Synagogue, is an Australian-born Zionist youth group which informally educates Jewish youth from Years 2-12. Hineni Sydney creates the opportunity for Jewish youth to engage in a mature and well-balanced perspective of the world around them. This group allows Jewish youth to be in touch with their Jewish heritage, allowing participants to create meaningful long-life friendships. This group strives for social justice through programs and volunteering, in addition to providing weekly meetings, a Shabbat Youth Minyan, events for Jewish festivals, and camps.
To Life L’Chaim Toastmaster Club
To Life L’Chaim Toastmasters Club is an impromptu public speaking club which focuses on the expression of the local Jewish community. Toastmasters provides a supportive and positive learning experience in which members are empowered to develop communication and leadership skills, resulting in greater self-confidence and personal growth. The Club was founded as B'nai B'rith Toastmasters Club in April, 1970 and originally met at the B'nai B'rith premises. Later the club moved to the Hakoah Club at Bondi Beach and changed its name to L'Chaim Toastmasters Club. Around 1998, L'Chaim Toastmasters Club moved its meeting location to Academy BJE at Bondi Beach. Due to increasing demand for classes the club moved around 2009 to meet at Princess Gardens, Rose Bay. In 2010, the club voted to amend its name from L'Chaim Toastmasters club to To Life L'Chaim Toastmasters Club.
Judean Scouts, 3rd Rose Bay Branch
Merged with a North Bondi Scouts which had started in 1929, the Judean Scouts incorporate fun and adventure into life-building skills. The Judean scouts, located in Wairoa Ave, North Bondi, focus on activities which build confidence, encourage team work, empower through leadership skills, and teach survival skills. This scout group is open to all Jewish boys and girls and includes activities such as camps, hikes, adventure games, cooking and badge work. Judean Scouts are open to Jewish people from ages 6-25 years old.
NSW Association of Sephardim: Sephardi Synagogue
The Sephardi Synagogue was consecrated by the New South Wales Association of Sephardim to accommodate Jews in Australia of Spanish, Middle Eastern, African and Asian backgrounds. The Sephardi Association of NSW was formed in 1950 and it opened its purpose built synagogue in Fletcher Street. Waverley Council approval of this synagogue which contributed to the advocacy of this particular Jewish community, enabling them to practice Sephardic liturgy. This Shul was built to assist Sephardim Jews wishing to migrate to Australia. Today, it welcomes Jewish people of all backgrounds to belong as one.
The Junction Cake Shop
The Junction Cake Shop, known more affectionately by locals as Klein’s, was located on Oxford Street in Bondi Junction. The owner of the shop was related to the owner of the Carmel Cake Shop on O’Brien Street.
Carmel Cake Shop
Carmel Cake Shop was a local baker and seller of kosher goods. Carmel Cake Shop was located on six-ways in O’Brien Street, Bondi Beach. The shop was open six days a week, and offered a range of small cakes, whole cakes, pizza slices, fresh bread and other take home Continental style cakes. Carmel Cake Shop closed its doors in 1995.
The B’nei Akiva is a Zionist Youth Movement which focuses on keeping modern religious beliefs active. It is a group created by the youth, for the youth. The B’nei Akiva enables youth to hone their skills in religious services, creating leadership amongst the local Jewish community. It is a group which brings youth together as they embark on learning inspirational and educational solutions that advocate Zionist living. Zionism is the dedication of Jews to a homeland in the State of Israel. B’nei Akiva participate in a range of events and programs including: Shabbat meetings, summer and winter camps, and learning programs, and Israel programs. It is a group that is inspirational, pioneering and exciting with a large involvement in the local community.
Councillor 1960 to 1966; 1968; Deputy Mayor 1967
Central Synagogue relocates
Central Synagogue moves to its present location, Bon Accord Avenue, Bondi Junction. Central is a modern Orthodox Synagogue. Central Synagogue was started with 150 members in Paddington. It moved to Bondi Junction in 1923. With post war migration its membership increased. With the decision to erect the Syd Einfeld freeway to circumvent the Bondi Junction shopping centre, it relocated to its present site in Bon Accord Avenue in 1960.
The iconic Gelato Bar opened at Bondi Beach by the Bergers, a Hungarian family who survived the Holocaust. The Gelato Bar quickly became a popular spot for Waverley’s Jewish community, serving Hungarian and Jewish European dishes that offered a “taste of home”. The café also heralded a new era of continental café society in Bondi with glass front display windows full of its famous strudels and towering cakes.
Hungarian Revolution (Migration Wave)
The Hungarian Revolution of 1956 against the Soviets sparked the second wave of Jewish Hungarian migration. As a result of this conflict approximately 20,000 Hungarian Jews fled to Canada, USA, Australia, and Israel between 1956 and 1957. Of those who came to Australia, an estimated 70% of these immigrants settled in Sydney.
This shule was founded in 1955. This Modern Orthodox Congregation was founded by religious Holocaust survivors living in Bondi. The synagogue was built in 1957 in Roscoe St, Bondi. Its membership is now elderly and the synagogue building is shared with Nefesh Congregation.
The Yeshiva Synagogue
The Yeshiva Synagogue is a centre of learning for the Jewish community of NSW, and was established due to the efforts of Abraham Rabinovitch. Later a purpose-built synagogue was designed by Harry Seidler, a well-respected Australian architect. The Yeshiva Synagogue was built to strengthen Jewish education and outreach of Judaism. It has grown to include a day school, Rabbinical College, and a range of Jewish community organisations. It is under the aegis of rabbis from the Lubavitcher Chassidim (Chabad), a fervently orthodox group.
Hillel College Kindergarten (Rabbi Porush Kindergarten)
Hillel College Kindergarten was established by the NSW Board of Jewish Education (BJE) under the hands of director Mrs Ruth Scheinwald (Yorke). Hillel College Kindergarten sought to meet the needs of post-war immigrants in teaching their children the core values of their Jewish heritage and the importance of maintaining those values in everyday life. Hillel College Kindergarten became prestigious in 1970, being named after Rabbi Dr Israel Porush, who dedicated most of his life to Jewish education.
Moriah College reopens on a larger campus at Bellevue Hill. At this time it has 57 students.
Hadassa Butchery now Eilat at Hadassa
Eilat at Hadassa Kosher Butcher at O’Brien St, Bondi Beach, provides a quality kosher service for Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs and beyond. The butchers offer a range of traditional kosher cuts as well as a range of cooked products. The in-house kosher products are 100% preservative free. Hadassa and Eilat butcheries merged around early 2000s.
South Head and District Synagogue
South Head Synagogue is a family-oriented shule with a wide variety of youth programs and activities. Its establishment drew from two main Jewish migration sources: British and Hungarian migrants. Originally located in a renovated house, the synagogue was rebuilt in Old South Head Road.
Sephardic Jewry (Migration Wave)
Sephardic Jewry, Middle Eastern Jews from Egypt, Iraq, as well as Jews who moved to India, Singapore, and other Asian countries, migrated to Australia after WWII. In the 1950s several thousand Sephardic Jews from the Arab world, especially Egypt, sought refuge in Australia as a result of the Arab-Israeli conflict. Many were expelled from Egypt or other north African Muslim states once the State of Israel was founded in 1948.
South African Jewry (Migration Wave)
South African Jews have immigrated to Australia since the 1960s, initially for ideological reasons opposing apartheid, and later propelled by increasing of crime, violence and insecurity. There were three distinct waves of migration: following the Sharpeville Massacre of 1960; the Soweto Uprising of 1976; and preceding the collapse of apartheid in 1990.
Jews from China (Migration Wave)
There were three main Jewish ethnic groups in China: the Sephardi Jews from the Middle East in Shanghai; the White Russians, who fled Russia under the Tsars and the Communists and mainly settled in Harbin and Tientsin; and the Jewish refugees from Nazism who fled to Shanghai in 1938-1940. At the end of WWII, the Chinese Nationalists demanded the expulsion of the stateless European Jews, few of whom wished to return to Europe. In addition, most of the Sephardi and Jewish White Russians in Harbin and Tientsin decided to leave China with the Communist takeover in 1949. In total, it is estimated that about 2,500 – 3,000 Jews migrated from China to Australia between 1945 and 1953.
Holocaust Survivors (Migration Wave)
Australia has been the refuge for more Holocaust survivors per capita than any other country, apart from Israel. The Close Relatives Reunion Scheme after WWII allowed Holocaust survivors to enter on the basis of having family who already resided in Australia. There were a total of 27,000 Holocaust survivors in Australia who arrived between 1945-1961. With the passage of time, only a few are still with us, but their children and grandchildren are carrying on their legacy.
British 10 pounder (Migration Wave)
The British 10 pounder is a reference to British immigrants who arrived in Australia under the £10 assisted passage scheme between 1945 and 1960. Many of the “£10 Poms” came from London’s East End working-class. Many of these were Jewish families.
Originally named the North Bondi Jewish Day School and Kindergarten, Moriah College was officially opened in 1943 with only a single infant class. Today the College is recognised for excellence across both secular and Jewish education, with HSC results that consistently rank it among the top non-selective schools in NSW.
Rabbi Elchanan Blumenthal builds the first mikvah (ritual bath) in Sydney, located at 115 Glenayr Avenue, North Bondi. The mikvah is a gathering of water connected to natural water that is designated specifically for immersion. The mikvah offers the individual, the community and the nation of Israel the remarkable gift of purity and holiness. Both men and women are biblically commanded to use the mikvah at various times to maintain family purity, and brides attend the mikvah before their weddings.
Now permanently closed, the Hakoah Club was a football (soccer) club that was established in 1938. This Jewish football club grew in popularity and sponsorship, and by 1975, opened a community centre on Hall Street in Bondi.
Hakoah Club in Bondi became the social headquarters of Sydney’s Jewish community for 35 years. It served a variety of purposes for hundreds of Jewish families in the Eastern Suburbs. It was central to Jewish life in Sydney during the post-war period.
The Hakoah Club was closed for a short time after being bombed in 1982, leaving members of the Jewish community feeling displaced. Once it had been re-opened, the Hakoah Club signified strength and resilience for the Jewish people. The Hakoah Club continued to serve as a memorable community centre until 2009 when it finally closed.
Bondi Mizrachi Synagogue
Bondi Mizrachi Synagogue was originally established in 1931 as a Modern Orthodox Zionist congregation. After being located in Old South Head Road in a renovated house, the congregation moved to its purpose built synagogue on Old South Head Road in 1973. It is a convenient place for prayer, Shabbat and Jewish festivals. Bondi Mizrachi Synagogue welcomes all people who are open to the modern strands of Judaism.
Central Synagogue moves from Paddington to Bondi Beach. The foundation stone was laid on the corner of Grosvenor and Grafton Street, Bondi Junction. The synagogue has been an important keystone of Jewish life in Waverley. Today Central Synagogue is the largest synagogue in the southern hemisphere and has the largest Jewish congregation in Australasia.